Sunday, February 23, 2014

Disability is Not a Blessing

I've actually heard people say their disability is a blessing.  I am not in a position to judge that, but usually that statement is followed in association with an income.  I have MS, and it comes with symptoms, but I am not disabled.  Since my life's work is a call to serve YHWH, and I am able to do that, I'm not disabled.  If I couldn't do what I was created and purposed to do, that might be another matter . . . but I don't believe our Creator would call us to do something and then not give us the strength to do it.

The grace to continue to function with the disability or around the disability or in spite of the disability is a blessing.  The fact that I am blessed to receive natural formulas for symptom management is a blessing, and one I am blessed to be able to share.  I'm in my mid fifties, so even if I didn't have MS, life comes with a few reminders of accidents and poor health practices of days gone by.  Due to a few old injuries, I can forecast a coming storm with the best of the meteorologists.  Due to some bad decision, I live with some scars, but I'm alive and I'm able to do what I'm called to do!

Years ago, when I walked away from mainstream medicine, I had 12 prescriptions for symptom management, CNS issues, and 3 additional prescriptions through an exacerbation.  It was nearly 20 years ago that I stopped the 12 prescriptions and went natural remedies for symptom management.  I did utilize the mainstream high power remedies for an exacerbation until 2001, but I also noticed in the time of walking away from the mainstream maintenance drugs, and dramatically improved my diet, I had fewer exacerbations.  My symptoms were dramatically improved when I stopped using aspartame.  As I said, I'm not symptom free and as I get older, I am reminded that I absolutely need Abbas strength in my accumulated weakness.

The previous paragraph is not exactly accurate.  When I left mainstream medicine all together in 2001, I wasn't walking.  I was in a wheel chair and had been very sickened by the treatment, and even worse, betrayed by family and friends to the point the powers that be actually came to my place of residence to see if it was acceptable for me to live there alone.  That was 2001, long before Obamacare, that some agency or aging and disability had that much power.  It was also recommended that I apply for disability and court ordered mainstream treatment was considered, but dropped.  I was a legal adult in a supposedly free country before 9/11 occurred.  I tried to always consider my exacerbations to be temporary, and I tried to have recovery plans.  Some times were scarier than others.  I knew in my heart, if I went on disability, I would become permanently disabled, my health would deteriorate.

I left and I remain outside of mainstream medicine and really most of mainstream to this day.  I had one little spell in which I used my wheel chair in 2002 for a just a little bit of time, and I do walk with a walking stick, but I'm walking.  Not only am I walking, I'm homesteading and raising a great deal of my remedies!  I don't use so many though these days.  I have natural Vitamin D, organic vegetables, raw milk, and meat with no growth hormones or antibiotics.   There are physical things that I can no longer do, and I am aware of my limitations, but I also know I can do so much more than I would be doing if I'd chosen to receive disability income and had remained on mainstream medications.

I can do all things through Messiah which strengtheneth me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment